As per the IUCr statement, which we wholeheartedly support, ISXB-4 will aim to “achieve gender balance in all its institutions and activities bearing in mind other diversity needs and its existing obligations to geographic and academic discipline representation where appropriate”. More than half of the members of the local organising committee are women, which will ensure a greater awareness of diversity throughout the conference. Balance will be achieved in the following ways:
- We will aim for an equitable distribution of speakers with respect to gender, with a maximum of 70 % of speakers of any one gender at the conference.
- We will aim for geographical diversity of participants, and will actively seek presenters from historically under-represented regions.
- We will pay particular attention to ensuring inclusion of presenters at different career stages, both in the oral and poster sessions.
- The conference will be family-friendly, with children welcome at social events and in the sessions. Childcare will be arranged if necessary, and accompanying people will be welcome.
- We will keep a record of diversity data (speaker/attendee numbers according to gender, countries represented and so on), and pass this on to future organisers of meetings in this series to allow trends to be tracked.
- We will publish data on speaker diversity actually achieved on the conference website after the conference.
The Organising Committee of the 4th International Symposium on Halogen Bonding shall observe the basic policy of nondiscrimination and affirms the rights of scientists throughout the world to adhere or to associate with international scientific activity without regard to such factors as ethnic origin, religion, citizenship, language, political stance, gender, sex or age, in accordance with the Statues of the International Council for Science. At this meeting symposium no barriers will exist which would prevent the participation of bona fide scientists.